What is Networking?
Networking is the ongoing process of building professional connection and relationships, connecting with people in your field of interest, and another way to find job and internship opportunities. Career professionals report that up to 75 percent of job openings are never advertised, so networking is a crucial element to job searching. These connections can happen in a casual environment, a professional setting or at formally-structured networking events.
As a student, you already have a network of peers you are connected with. You can start here to connect with people who have similar interests and create skills you will use throughout your life and career. Other examples of networking are:
- joining student organizations
- discussing career and job opportunities with friends, family, coworkers, and other professional connections
- connecting with alumni through Handshake or LinkedIn
- attending professors’ office hours and connecting with class speakers
- participate in informational interviews with those in your career path
- job shadowing individuals who are currently doing the work you are interested in
- attended events (such as job and internship fairs) or conferences that allow you to meet new people – check out our events page on Handshake to find and register for upcoming opportunities to network
- joining mentoring groups (both on-campus and community-based)
We’ve all heard that if we love what we do, we won’t feel like we’ve worked a day in our lives. But how can you figure out what career you might love if you don’t know your passion? If you’re …
Perhaps it’s no secret that when people are kind to one another, they’re also happier. And when they’re more comfortable, they find themselves more content with their day-to-day.
There’s no exception in the workplace.
In today’s job market, making connections matters—a lot! Have you ever wondered why some people seem to land great job opportunities effortlessly? It’s often because of their network.
Your network is like a circle of friends, serving as a vital …
The elusive key to career triumph lies within the intricate tapestry of well-crafted resume, a symphony of skills, experiences, and potential harmonizing in perfect unison. Yet, amidst this grand orchestration, treacherous pitfalls await the unwary seeker. Fear not, for we …
No one enjoys the daunting task of job hunting. From searching through online listings to refining your résumé, the process can be overwhelming. However, one crucial aspect that often poses a challenge is crafting an effective cover letter. With conflicting …